Process Mapping & Systems Thinking
How to Streamline and Redesign Business Processes
A Two-Day Seminar OR Multi-Day Virtual Seminar
Process Mapping is the essential foundation for every approach to quality improvement (Six Sigma, Lean, RPI, reengineering) and workflow automation (ERP, BPMS, CRM). Orion’s course, taught nationwide since 1994, is the de facto standard of the industry.
Why Process Mapping is Vital
An organization –any organization– is a collection of processes. These processes are the natural business activities you perform that produce value, serve customers and generate income. Managing these processes is the key to the success of your organization.
Unfortunately, most organizations –probably yours– are not set up to manage processes. Instead they manage tasks. Think about it. Isn’t your company organized around functions (the manufacturing department, the radiology department, the sales department, the customer service department)?
As a result, people tend to focus on “local” concerns instead of the “global” needs of process customers. Sub-processes evolve within departments without consideration of other functional areas. Layers of communication and management are created to ensure desired outcomes, thereby adding to costs and lengthening cycle and customer response times.
Inefficiency and waste become part of the system. They rob your organization of profits, productivity and its competitive advantage. Process mapping shows you the way out.
What You Will Learn
- Identify and understand your organization’s true core processes
- Recognize and remove activities that do not add value
- Eliminate system flaws that result in poor quality
- Document processes for knowledge management or BPM initiatives
- View customer/supplier relationships and their impact on your system
- Engage business leaders, users and customers in process change efforts
- Dramatically improve your efficiency and customer satisfaction
Who Should Attend
You will benefit most from this learning experience if you are a (an):
- Manager (any manager) who needs to improve efficiency or customer satisfaction
- Process Owner
- Process, Workflow or Business Analyst
- Project Manager
- Preparing for an IT upgrade or transformation project
- Actively involved in your organization’s performance improvement, Lean or Six Sigma efforts
One of my favorite classes and instructors by far. I have taken Executive classes at Harvard and Michigan; this is my favorite so far.
Gain The Skills You Need To Make Process Mapping Work For Your Organization
This practical, how-to-do-it seminar will arm you with the knowledge you need to analyze the way your organization really operates, to identify opportunities for dramatic improvement and to implement process changes that will have immediate impact on quality, customer service, productivity and the bottom line.
- Systems Thinking: Seeing the Big Picture
- The Evolution of Process Management
- Process Management Cycle: Seven Stages
- Traditional Management vs. Systems Thinking
- Creating A System Map
- Clarifying Business Requirements
- Scoping the Process Improvement/Redesign Project
- Mapping & Analysis Tools: Inside the Black Box
- Symbols and fundamentals
- Process and Workflow Diagrams
- Top-Down Flowchart
- Block Diagram
- Activity Chart
- Workflow Diagram
- Cross-Functional Flowchart
- When to Use Each Chart
- Analyzing Process Flowcharts
- Streamlining the Value Engine
- Optimizing Flow and Capacity
- Process Measures: Identifying the Right “Pulse Points”
- Class Exercise: Putting It All Together
- Getting There: Next Steps
- Organizational Change
- Creating the Right Documentation for Your Purposes
Credits: Up to 14 PDUs / 14 CPE hours for ABPMP re-certification